- Select the machine group for your test upgrade. We recommend helix-internal. Run the Kaseya procedure called Windows 10 Upgrade Readiness Verification against all Windows 10 devices.
- Make sure you have OS Build Number & Upgrade Status added to your columns view in Kaseya
- Systems that are ready to be upgraded will have a Ready status. Systems that are Not ready, will generate a ticket, and email you (and email@example.com). Work with your management team to assign and address these alerts.
- The following procedures will notify clients of the scheduled upgrades:
- Schedule the Windows Upgrade Notification – Day Before Upgrade procedure to run on the day before the upgrades are scheduled.
- Schedule the Windows Upgrade Notification – Day of Upgrade procedure to run on the day of the upgrade, once in the morning and once in the afternoon.
- Use the Windows 10 – Feature Update <build version> Ready view to show devices that are ready to be upgraded to that build version.
- Schedule the Windows Upgrade 20H2 - Step 1 - Staging procedure to run against these devices at the predetermined date/time. This will reboot the endpoint and schedule Windows Upgrade 20H2 - Step 2 - NO ISO Upgrade procedure to run 20 minutes later. NOTE: DO NOT log into a rebooted system, or the upgrade will fail.
- Windows Upgrade 20H2 - Step 2 - NO ISO upgrade schedules the Windows Upgrade 20H2 - Step 3 - Verification and Troubleshooting procedure to run 3 hours after itself, to verify if the upgrade completed successfully. If it succeeds, it rights log entry W10U: Upgrade Success so we can report on it. If it fails, it will schedule Windows Upgrade 20H2 - Step 4 - Upgrade with ISO in 20 minutes. Troubleshooting logs can be retrieved using GetFile in Kaseya (upgrader_default.log).
- Windows Upgrade 20H2 - Step 4 - Upgrade with ISO will run if the prior upgrade failed. It will schedule Windows Upgrade 20H2 - Step 5 - Verification and Troubleshooting 2 to run in 3 hours.
- Windows Upgrade 20H2 - Step 5 - Verification and Troubleshooting 2 will verify if ISO based upgrade completed successfully, and if not will generate an alert ticket to let you know it failed. Troubleshooting logs can be retrieved using GetFile in Kaseya (upgrader_default.log).
- Use the Windows 10 Build Lower than <previous version> view to locate devices that were not upgraded successfully and remediate manually. Once all issues have been resolved, schedule the same notification/update procedures for roughly 2-4 weeks out.
Windows 10 Upgrade Process
Modified on: Tue, May 11, 2021 at 2:03 PM
Did you find it helpful?
Can you please tell us how we can improve this article?